National Lottery issues ‘don’t forget’ warning as major outage set to affect all players


For around 36 hours this weekend, players will be unable to buy tickets online or in person

The National Lottery has issued a “reminder” to players(Image: PA)

The National Lottery has warned its players that there is a planned 36-hour outage taking place this weekend.

From 11pm on Saturday (August 2), shortly after the Lotto draw took place, all National Lottery sales and pay-outs will be put on pause to make way for the biggest technology upgrade in the game’s 31-year history.

The outage will continue until “late Monday morning”, and during this time, all draw game sales and prize claims will be paused in shops across the UK according to operator Allwyn.

National Lottery sales and payouts will pause for around 36 hours this weekend to make way for an upgrade(Image: Allwyn/PA Wire )

For the same period, the National Lottery website and app will also be down.

The National Lottery took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to remind players of the outage. They wrote: “Don’t forget, we’re spending this weekend upgrading the technology that powers The National Lottery.

“Following Saturday’s draws, some services won’t be available until Monday.”

National Lottery operator Allwyn has advised players to buy draw tickets, check results and claim prizes before 11pm on Saturday and warned that they would not be able to log into their online accounts, buy draw tickets or claim prizes, in-store or online, until Monday.

During the pause, Allwyn will transfer and upgrade the National Lottery’s gaming and retail systems to new platforms.

Content cannot be displayed without consent

However, it warned that a “small proportion” of in-store terminals could experience delays coming back up if certain upgrade processes are interrupted for various reasons.

The Czech-based Allwyn group – which took over the 10-year licence to run the lottery from Camelot in February last year – said the systems and in-store terminals powering The National Lottery dated back to 2009, “before iPads, Uber and Instagram”, which now needed to be modernised to deliver on “ambitious” plans for a National Lottery “fit for the future”.

Allwyn chief executive Andria Vidler said: “This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to deliver The National Lottery that the UK deserves.

“We’re making unprecedented and much-needed changes, which will move us closer to achieving our vision for The National Lottery, restoring its magic and significantly increasing its positive impact on lives across the UK.

“These major upgrades will mean short-term disruption for players and our retail partners but they will allow us to deliver on our promise to bring new, exciting games, a better player experience and our commitment to double returns to Good Causes from £30 million to £60 million every week by the end of the 10-year licence.”

The switchover has been beset by delays after Allwyn took over the licence, which has held back the launch of new draw-based games.

All draw game sales and prize claims will be paused in shops across the UK from 11pm on Saturday night (Image: Allwyn/PA Wire )

It was unable to switch to a new technology provider after agreeing to extend the contract for the existing supplier, International Games Technology (IGT).

IGT had challenged the Gambling Commission’s decision to award Allwyn the 10-year licence in court, but later dropped the legal action.

Allwyn has previously admitted that delays to the new games it had hoped to introduce in 2024 will hold back the amount of money it can give to good causes in the early part of its 10-year licence.

But the group remained committed to its long-term goal to double money for good causes, despite falling short of early targets.


Source

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Recommended For You

Avatar photo

About the Author: News Hound