
Israel’s “unjustified” decision to revoke the visas of Australia’s representatives to the Palestinian Authority will undermine efforts to support aid delivery on the ground, federal ministers said.On Monday, Israel’s foreign minister Gideon Sa’ar said the move came in response to Australia’s recognition of a Palestinian state and for refusing entry to Israeli figures.He also instructed the Israeli embassy in Canberra to carefully examine any official Australian visa application for entry into Israel.Foreign Minister Penny Wong said the government had a right to safeguard communities and protect “all Australians from hate and harm”.
“At a time when dialogue and diplomacy are needed more than ever, the Netanyahu government is isolating Israel and undermining international efforts towards peace and a two-state solution,” Wong said in a statement on Tuesday.
“This is an unjustified reaction, following Australia’s decision to recognise Palestine.”She said Australia would continue to work with partners to contribute to “international momentum to a two-state solution, a ceasefire in Gaza and release of the hostages”.
“The Australian government will always take decisive action against antisemitism,” she said.
The decision, at a time when more diplomacy and dialogue were needed between the two nations, was disappointing, Finance Minister Katy Gallagher said.It was important Australia had representatives on the ground in the Palestinian territories, she told ABC Radio National.”These are important positions in terms of us understanding what’s going on, also in supporting the coordination of aid and support on the ground,” Gallagher said.
Earlier this month, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese confirmed Australia’s intention to recognise Palestinian statehood at the United Nations General Assembly meeting in September.
Israeli move comes after Simcha Rothman denied visa
Sa’ar expressed his anger on social media on Monday as he announced the visa cancellations.”This follows Australia’s decisions to recognise a “Palestinian state” and against the backdrop of Australia’s unjustified refusal to grant visas to a number of Israeli figures, including former minister Ayelet Shaked and the chairman of the Knesset’s Constitution, Law and Justice Committee, MK Simcha Rothman,” Sa’ar posted on social media platform X.”While antisemitism is raging in Australia, including manifestations of violence against Jews and Jewish institutions, the Australian government is choosing to fuel it by false accusations, as if the visit of Israeli figures will disrupt public order and harm Australia’s Muslim population. It is shameful and unacceptable!”
Sa’ar’s post comes after it was revealed on Monday that Australia denied far-right Israeli politician Simcha Rothman from entering the country for a speaking tour after provocative comments.
In an interview earlier this year with Britain’s Channel 4 News, Rothman, whose party is part of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s governing coalition, denied Palestinian children in Gaza were dying of hunger due to Israel’s limitations of food and aid.When asked by a reporter why Israel won’t let Palestinian children flee to Israel, he replied: “Because they are our enemies.””They are our enemies and according to international treaties about refugees in the time of war, you don’t let them conquer your country with refugees.”Rothman has also previously argued that Palestinians should leave Gaza.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke cancelled his visa on the grounds that Rothman would “spread division”.
Israeli politician Simcha Rothman was denied entry to visit Australia for a speaking tour after provocative comments. Source: EPA / Abir Sultan
Opposition finance spokesperson James Paterson said Australia’s relationship with Israel was “the worst it has ever been”.The federal government has denied entry to people with a known history of antisemitism, including rapper Kanye West, after he released a song praising Hitler, as well as Lebanese pro-Hezbollah influencer Hussain Makke.
Source