
From Aloysius Attah, Onitsha
The Young Progressive Party governorship candidate for the forthcoming Anambra election, Chief Paul Chukwuma was the leading figure in Awka on Friday when a group, Make Anambra Great Again (MAGA) staged a Peaceful Walk to the police command headquarters, Amawbia to demonstrate their displeasure with the activities of the security outfit in the state Udo ga Achi and the Anti-Touting Squad known as ndi aka odo.
The peaceful protest came on the heels of the recent assault and public stripping of a corps member, Jennifer Elohor, by the local security personnel, Agunachemba.
Addressing the youths, Chief Paul Chukwuma said that corps members serving in Anambra come from various parts of the country, and Nigerians are watching closely to see if there are credible leaders in the state.
He condemned the incident as an example of rising criminality, noting, that the level of lawlessness being perpetrated by these individuals have been appalling.
“Anambra sadly has descended, under this government, into fascism of some sorts, as these operatives misuse the authority of government to intimidate and abuse innocent citizens” he stated.
According to him, everyone must rise to the challenge before it consumes all in the state.
He stated that the protest was not about him personally but about standing up for Ndi Anambra and the Nigerian people as a whole.
He called on the police to make their findings public and ensure justice is served.
“We are being specific. A young, innocent corps member was molested. The police have informed us that suspects have been arrested and are in custody. They also promised to make their findings public,” he said.
He raised concerns over local security operatives carrying prohibited arms, and said the police had assured them that the matter would be investigated.
He again decried the increasing level of criminality linked to some of these local security outfits.
He described the protest as a reminder to the police that certain individuals and security groups were derelict in their duties, and urged the police command to call them to order.
“We, as Ndi Anambra, are calling on security agencies to do their job. Despite the huge funds accruing to the state, the government has failed to adequately fund the police and other security agencies. They need resources, equipment, and support to function properly. “He added.
Sir Paul claimed that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration had released sufficient funds to states for security and governance.
“The President has done his part. What is our state government doing with all that money? Ndi Anambra are worried, and we cannot keep quiet. That is why we are here today,” he said.
Addressing the protesters on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Ibrahim Ezekiel, who is in charge of operations, commended the protesters for conducting themselves peacefully.
“We have heard your grievances. It is true that Agunachemba, a local security outfit, was established to support the police in community policing. However, we are not ignoring their excesses,” DCP Ezekiel stated.
He added that the Commissioner of Police had volunteered to train and sensitize Agunachemba members on proper conduct, civil engagement, and respect for human rights.
Regarding the assaulted corps member, he confirmed that suspects had been arrested and were currently under investigation at the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
He assured that the findings would be made public.
In a press release titled “Anambra Police Receives Reports of Protest Against Security Operatives, Assures Stakeholder Engagement for Necessary Action,” the command’s spokesperson, SP Ikenga Tochukwu, confirmed that the police received reports of the protest on 22nd August 2025.
The statement reiterated the Command’s commitment to peace, security, and lawful resolution of the matter.
“The Command will engage relevant stakeholders and partners to ensure appropriate actions are taken in accordance with the law and established procedures. “he said.
SP Tochukwu said that Agunachemba was established based on the consensus of Ndi Anambra to enhance community safety, but the police would continue to monitor and regulate their activities.
He reaffirmed the Command’s dedication to protecting lives and property, and to working closely with all stakeholders to sustain peace and security in Anambra State.
“The Command further reiterates that the establishment of security outfits operating within Anambra State was borne out of the collective will and consensus of Ndi Anambra, with the sole aim of strengthening community safety, enhancing rapid response, and sustaining peace and security across the State.
“The Police Command remains committed to protecting lives and property, promoting lawful engagement, and working closely with all stakeholders to sustain peace and security in Anambra State” the PPRO stated.