IDF said to uproot thousands of West Bank olive trees after Palestinian shooting attack

The Israeli army uprooted thousands of olive trees in the West Bank village of al-Mughayyir — an area of ​​about 300 dunams (74 acres) — over the past three days, following a shooting attack in the area last week carried out by a resident, according to Sunday reports in Palestinian media.

In addition, a three-day curfew was imposed on the village, which was lifted Sunday morning, according to the reports.

On Thursday night, the chief of the IDF Central Command, Maj. Gen. Avi Bluth, during a visit to the scene of the shooting, said that al-Mughayyir would “pay a heavy price” for the attack the previous day, in what appears to be a declaration of collective punishment on towns where attacks or attackers come from.

“Every village and every enemy needs to know that if they carry out an attack against [Israeli] residents, they will pay a heavy price; they will experience a curfew, they will experience a closure, and they will experience ‘shaping operations,’” he said, apparently referring to the uprooting of the trees.

A “shaping operation” in military terms refers to efforts to create or preserve advantageous conditions for future operations by affecting enemy vulnerabilities.

Get The Times of Israel’s Daily Edition
by email and never miss our top stories

By signing up, you agree to the terms

“We will now focus our effort… on the village of al-Mughayir, which has carried out quite a few attacks recently; we are now locking in on this village,” Bluth said, according to remarks published by the IDF.

جريمة تستهدف الأرض.. الجرافات الإسرائيلية تقتلع المئات من أشجار الزيتون في قرية المغير شمال رام الله#قناة_الغد #فلسطين #الضفة_الغربية pic.twitter.com/lAxB4IMgAP

— قناة الغد (@AlGhadTV) August 23, 2025

“We will also deliver this message to the village: The village carries out an attack, no problem; you want a spotlight on you, we know how to shine a spotlight. The first mission is to hunt down and thwart the cell and the terrorist,” he said.

“The second mission is to carry out ‘shaping operations’ here… so that everyone will be deterred, and not only this village, but any village that tries to raise a hand against any of the [Israeli] residents,” Bluth added.

⭕️نقلت صحيفة “هآرتس”، عن جيش الاحتلال قوله إنه اقتلع 3100 شجرة في قرية المغير بالضفة الغربية.

????قال قائد المنطقة الوسطى في جيش الاحتلال آفي بلوت، إن جميع قرى الضفة الغربية يجب أن “تعرف أنه إذا ارتكبت هجومًا، فسوف تدفع ثمنًا باهظًا، وسوف تواجه حظر التجول والحصار”. pic.twitter.com/absYLvOwpB

— وكالة شهاب للأنباء (@ShehabAgency) August 24, 2025

On Wednesday, Israeli reserve soldiers from a rapid response team made up of residents of local settlements detained a Palestinian suspected of opening fire on a group of Israeli civilians near the settlement of Adei Ad earlier in the day, the military said.

The 30-year-old Palestinian, a resident of al-Mughayyir, had allegedly fired at the Israelis, without hitting any, before engaging in a physical altercation during which an Israeli man was lightly hurt.

He was nabbed several hours later, according to a military official.

During an initial interrogation by the Shin Bet, the suspect provided “findings that tied him to the attack,” the security agency said. Israeli forces also found a handgun suspected to have been used in the attack, the IDF and police added.

Chief of the Central Command, Maj. Gen. Avi Bluth is seen with officers near the West Bank village of al-Mughayyir, August 21, 2025. (Israel Defense Forces)

Violence in the West Bank has surged since the start of the Gaza war that began with Hamas’s deadly October 7, 2023, attack.

Since then, troops have arrested some 6,000 wanted Palestinians across the West Bank, including more than 2,350 affiliated with Hamas. According to the Palestinian Authority health ministry, more than 950 West Bank Palestinians have been killed in that time.

The IDF says the vast majority of them were gunmen killed in exchanges of fire, rioters who clashed with troops or terrorists carrying out attacks. During the same period, 53 others, including Israeli security personnel, have been killed in terror attacks in Israel and the West Bank. Another eight members of the security forces were killed in clashes with terror operatives in the West Bank.

Settler attacks on Palestinians throughout the West Bank have also been taking place frequently, largely with impunity, sparking mounting sanctions from Western governments.


Is The Times of Israel important to you?

If so, we have a request. 

Every day, even during war, our journalists keep you abreast of the most important developments that merit your attention. Millions of people rely on ToI for fast, fair and free coverage of Israel and the Jewish world. 

We care about Israel – and we know you do too. So today, we have an ask: show your appreciation for our work by joining The Times of Israel Community, an exclusive group for readers like you who appreciate and financially support our work. 


Yes, I’ll give


Yes, I’ll give

Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this


You appreciate our journalism

You clearly find our careful reporting valuable, in a time when facts are often distorted and news coverage often lacks context.

Your support is essential to continue our work. We want to continue delivering the professional journalism you value, even as the demands on our newsroom have grown dramatically since October 7.

So today, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. For as little as $6 a month you’ll become our partners while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.

Thank you,
David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel


Join Our Community


Join Our Community

Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this


Source

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Recommended For You

Avatar photo

About the Author: News Hound