
A UK opposition party leader announced Wednesday that he will boycott a banquet thrown by King Charles during Donald Trump’s state visit to Britain next month over the US president’s stance on the war in Gaza.
Liberal Democrats leader Ed Davey said he wants to send a “strong message” by declining the invitation to the lavish dinner.
Trump is due to visit the UK from September 17 to 19 for an unprecedented second state visit, which will include a banquet thrown in his honor by the king.
“I feel a responsibility to do whatever I can to ensure the people in Gaza are not forgotten during the pomp and ceremony,” Davey, leader of the third-largest party in parliament, wrote in The Guardian on Wednesday.
“Boycotting the state banquet is not something I ever wanted to do, but I believe it is the only way I can send a message to both Trump and [UK Prime Minister Keir] Starmer that they cannot close their eyes and wish this away,” he added.
Get The Times of Israel’s Daily Edition
by email and never miss our top stories
By signing up, you agree to the terms
“I have come to the conclusion that on this occasion I must refuse.”
US President Donald Trump (R) and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer (L) talk as they arrive at Trump’s estate in Balmedie, Aberdeenshire, northeast Scotland, on July 28, 2025. (Jane Barlow/Pool/AFP)
The opposition Conservative party criticized the decision as “an act of deep disrespect.”
But Davey told BBC Radio 4 on Thursday “no disrespect is meant to the king.”
Starmer presented the personal invitation from Charles to a delighted Trump during a visit to Washington in February.
The US leader’s 2019 state visit, during his first term, was marred by large protests, and demonstrations are already planned for the forthcoming trip.
Several politicians, including then-Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, also boycotted Trump’s state dinner at Buckingham Palace in 2019.
The UK has grown increasingly critical of Israel since Starmer came into office. The prime minister said earlier this month that London will recognize a Palestinian state if Israel does not agree to a truce in its war with Hamas.
While Israel decried the move as a “reward for Hamas,” the British leader stressed that the recognition of a Palestinian state did not amount to recognizing the terror group as a legitimate state actor.
Britain’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer delivers a statement inside No. 10 Downing Street after the UK cabinet was recalled to discuss the situation in Gaza, in London, July 29, 2025. (Toby Melville, Pool Photo via AP)
“Hamas are a terrorist organization responsible for the October 7 atrocities. They must never be rewarded. We have been unequivocal in our condemnation of those evil attacks, and our support for the right of the State of Israel to self-defense,” the government statement read.
“Hamas must immediately release all the hostages, sign up to an immediate ceasefire, accept that they will play no part in the government of Gaza, and commit to disarmament,” it added.
Starmer had joined France in its commitment to recognize a Palestinian state this fall at the UN General Assembly, in a bid to resuscitate the two-state solution, viewed as increasingly unviable in recent years.
Canada and Australia have announced similar plans, and New Zealand has said it is considering recognition as well.
Is The Times of Israel important to you?
If so, we have a request.
Every day, even during war, our journalists keep you abreast of the most important developments that merit your attention. Millions of people rely on ToI for fast, fair and free coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.
We care about Israel – and we know you do too. So today, we have an ask: show your appreciation for our work by joining The Times of Israel Community, an exclusive group for readers like you who appreciate and financially support our work.
Yes, I’ll give
Yes, I’ll give
Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this
You appreciate our journalism
You clearly find our careful reporting valuable, in a time when facts are often distorted and news coverage often lacks context.
Your support is essential to continue our work. We want to continue delivering the professional journalism you value, even as the demands on our newsroom have grown dramatically since October 7.
So today, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. For as little as $6 a month you’ll become our partners while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.
Thank you,
David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel
Join Our Community
Join Our Community
Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this