Shipping movements disrupted as climate change protesters block coal ships from entering Port of Newcastle


One of the largest shipping ports on Australia’s east coast cancelled all shipping movements for three hours on Sunday following an on-water climate change protest.  

The Port Authority of NSW made the call at around 1pm after hundreds of protesters took to the water on kayaks and watercraft as part of Rising Tide’s annual protest, blocking coal ships.

In a statement, the Port Authority said “a dynamic risk-based decision was made to abort the movement of an inbound ship movement … due to alleged protester activity posing a risk to safety”.

The statement said the suspension affected another two vessels.

Police said 121 people had been charged with marine-related offences and 18 were dealt with under the Young Offenders Act since the protest event began on Thursday.

Another two people were in the process of being charged, a NSW Police spokesperson said. 

In a statement, NSW Police said it adopts a “zero-tolerance approach to actions which threaten public safety and the safe passage of vessels”.

Protesters took to the water to disrupt coal ships entering the Port of Newcastle. (ABC Newcastle: Bridget Murphy)

The police operation on the harbour is continuing, with a marine exclusion zone in place until 7am on Monday.

Rising Tide community organiser Zack Schofield said the police had taken “the wrong approach” to the protest.

“They’ve wasted thousands upon thousands of dollars of public money on an over-policed response,” she said.

Shipping disrupted

Rising Tide said its demonstration has been successful after its paddle-outs forced two bulk carriers to turn around and not enter the port. 

The Port of Newcastle confirmed the Ragna coal ship was turned back on Sunday afternoon.

The 85,000-tonne bulk carrier Cemtex Leader also turned back on Saturday morning after being advised by police that there were swimmers in the shipping channel.

The Port said the ship was able to enter on Sunday morning.

Another vessel carrying alumina for the Tomago smelter north of Newcastle was also unable to enter the Port on Sunday and was rescheduled to come in on Monday morning.

Police on the water during environmental group Rising Tide’s “people’s blockade” event. (ABC Newcastle: Bridget Murphy)

Catherine Hill Bay resident Mina Bui Jones said she was arrested on Saturday after swimming in the shipping channel.

“It was thrilling to see the tugboats go back into their berth and to know we had prevented a coal ship from making a delivery. I would do it again” she said.

Two people representing Greenpeace were also arrested on Sunday after securing themselves to the anchor chain and sides of the 81,000-tonne coal ship Yangze 16.

The activists suspended themselves from the ship using professional climbing equipment and unfurled a five-metre-long banner.

Greenpeace activists unfurled a five-meter banner on the side of the vessel. (Supplied: Greenpeace)

Greenpeace Australia Pacific campaigner Joe Rafalowicz said the activists were calling on the government to stop approving new fossil fuel projects.

“It is astonishing, and that’s why Greenpeace took this action today in solidarity with Rising Tide,” he said.

Mr Schofield said the group was “grateful” to Greenpeace for their support.

“They haven’t taken this action lightly; it’s entirely proportionate to the scale of the problem of the climate crisis,” he said.

Former commissioner joins protest

Former Fire and Rescue NSW commissioner and founder of Emergency Leaders for Climate Action, Greg Mullins, spoke at the event.

He said it was inspiring to see so many people attend the protest.

Former fire chief Greg Mullins attended Rising Tide’s “protestival” event. (ABC News)

“I’ve been fighting fires for more than 50 years and the way they’ve become worse [because of climate change] is frightening,” he said.

“What lifts me is seeing everyday Australians saying ‘no, we’re not going to sit back and let the filthy polluting fossil fuels ruin our planet.'”

Rising Tide’s annual “people’s blockade” of the world’s largest coal port has been taking place in Newcastle since Thursday. 

Rising Tide’s “people’s blockade” is an annual event. (ABC Newcastle: Nakita Jager)

The event included a “protestival” on Saturday night, featuring performances from Australian acts Montaigne and Lime Cordiale.

NSW Police Minister Yasmin Catley condemned the protest, saying anyone who breaches marine exclusion zones will be arrested.


Source

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Recommended For You

Avatar photo

About the Author: News Hound