Manchester synagogue attack hero speaks of moment he was shot while barricading doors


Yoni Finlay, 39, has opened up about his ‘survivors’ guilt’

Yoni Finlay, 39, was injured during the Heaton Park synagogue attack(Image: Manchester Evening News)

A father-of-four who was shot by police during the terrorist attack at Heaton Park synagogue has opened up about the ordeal. Yoni Finlay, 39, helped barricade the door while Jihad Al-Shamie tried to force his way inside, armed with a large knife, on October 2.

Al-Shamie was shot dead by police. However, Mr Finlay and fellow worshipper Adrian Daulby, 53, were hit by a police bullet too.

Mr Daulby sadly died alongside Melvin Cravitz, 66, who suffered stab wounds. Andrew Franks, a volunteer security guard, and Bernard Agyemang, who was also working on security that day, were injured too, but, like Mr Finlay, they luckily survived and are recovering.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News three weeks after the attack, Mr Finlay insisted that he is ‘not a hero’, describing the men who died as ‘the real heroes’. Now, in a new interview with the Guardian, the father-of-four has opened up about his ‘survivors’ guilt’.

He also told the paper about the moment everyone inside the synagogue ‘heard a bang’ and he rushed to the entrance to see what was happening. Mr Finlay helped barricade the doors as the attacker tried to force his way in – but the doors were ‘buckling’, he said.

Emergency services at the scene of the attack in October(Image: PA)

The father-of-four said he had never seen such a large blade on a knife as the one carried by the attacker who was also wearing what looked like a bomb strapped to his waist that was later found to be fake. He told the Guardian he ‘saw evil’ as he looked at Al-Shamie.

Armed police, who arrived within seven minutes, shot Al-Shamie. But the police bullet also hit those on the other side of the door.

Earlier this week, Greater Manchester Police chief constable Stephen Watson defended his officers for the way the handled the situation. He told LBC there were ‘unforeseen and tragic consequences’ in the case, but said the fault lies ‘entirely’ with the terrorist.

Mr Finaly told the Guardian, who has been recovering at home following a seven-hour operation and two weeks in hospital, said he does not blame the armed officer whose bullet struck him. He said: “They were doing their jobs. Their actions that day saved lives.”

Melvin Cravitz, 66, was killed in the Heaton Park synagogue attack(Image: Facebook)

He added: “I saw evil and that’s something that in the moment was very powerful in the wrong way. But let’s combat it. Let’s bring light into the world, and it doesn’t take a lot.”

At the beginning of November, Greater Manchester Police marked one month since the attack by renewing its commitment to supporting communities across the city.

A spokesperson for the force said: “Our thoughts remain with all those affected by the horrific attack at Heaton Park synagogue a month ago. We remain shoulder to shoulder with affected communities to ensure everyone can feel secure going about their lives.

“Our officers have made more than 20,000 visits to all places of worship across Greater Manchester in the past month.

“We continue to be committed to ensuring our communities – particularly the Jewish community – are in the forefront of our plans to keep the public safe.

Adrian Daulby(Image: Family Handout/PA)

“You will still see patrols in your area, and we are working closely with community partners to ensure all concerns and information goes towards informing our local policing plans. If you have concerns, speak to officers, call us on 101 or report it on our website. Always dial 999 in an emergency.”

Inquest openings heard Mr Cravitz died in hospital after Al-Shamie attacked him using a knife, with a provisional cause of death given as ‘multiple stab wounds’. Al-Shamie had driven his Kia Picanto towards Mr Cravitz and a security guard moments earlier and ‘narrowly missed’ the pair before launching his knife attack.

Meanwhile, Mr Daulby was inside the synagogue and held the doors shut ‘for two minutes’ before he was hit by a ‘single stray or possibly deflected bullet’ shot by firearms officers at the scene. His provisional cause of death was a single gunshot to the chest, Manchester coroner’s court heard.

Al-Shamie, who police believed to have be wearing a ‘suicide vest’, was shot dead by armed officers.


Source

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Recommended For You

Avatar photo

About the Author: News Hound