‘Do not approach’: Search for ‘heavily armed’ Dezi Freeman enters third day

The search for self-proclaimed sovereign citizen Dezi Freeman – who allegedly shot dead two police officers at a rural property in Victoria’s northeast – has entered its third day.

Locals have been forced into lockdown in Porepunkah as hundreds of police officers swarm the town in the massive manhunt for Freeman, who fled into dense bushland after allegedly opening fire on officers on Tuesday morning.

Senior Constable Paul Hogan told ABC Radio on Thursday morning that there had been no confirmed sighting of the alleged gunman since Tuesday.

Camera IconHuge police resources are at the scene in Porepunkah. Jason Edwards /NewsWire Credit: News Corp AustraliaCamera IconPolice have said Freeman has not been seen since Tuesday. Jason Edwards /NewsWire Credit: News Corp Australia

“To give you an idea of the resources that we’ve deployed to the area, we’ve got Homicide Squad, Armed Crime Squad, Fugitive Squad, Special Operations Group, Critical Incident Response team – they all remain in the Porepunkah area,” he said.

Porepunkah residents have been urged to stay indoors while the manhunt is on foot.

“We’re sympathetic to the Porepunkah people,” Constable Hogan said.

“We know it’s not ideal for them that they need to stay indoors and be conscious of what’s around them.

“But remember, this man is believed to be armed with firearms and we urge people not to approach him.

“If anyone sights this man or someone they believe to be this man, we urge them do not approach him – call triple-0 immediately.”

Camera IconDetective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson was killed in a shooting in Porepunkah VicPol Credit: Supplied

School reopens as town shuts down

Porepunkah Primary School will be open on Thursday with police protection as the manhunt continues.

The school – which has fewer than 100 students – was locked down on Tuesday and then closed on Wednesday, as hordes of police searched bushland within 5km of the school gates. Notifications went out to parents Wednesday night saying the school would be open Thursday.

One parent around the Porepunkah township at 7am on Thursday told NewsWire he had no issue with sending his daughter to school.

Porepunkah Pub will remain closed on Thursday as the hunt for Freeman continues.

“Our staff have been instructed not to leave their homes, and their safety, along with that of our guests and wider community, remains our top priority,” the business wrote in a social media post.

“We want to continue being a safe space for our community to gather and will open our doors again as soon as it is possible to do so.”

Dark gloomy skies cover the northeast Victorian town on Thursday, and there were no signs of major police activity on its roads in the hour or so after daybreak.

Conditions are expected to be difficult for officers in the High Country on Thursday, with a very high chance of showers and blistering winds smashing the state’s east.

Camera IconResidents have been urged to stay inside while the search continues. Jason Edwards /NewsWire Credit: News Corp Australia

Loud bangs ring through town as search continues

Loud bangs could be heard coming from the property at the centre of the enormous manhunt on Wednesday afternoon.

However, there has been no confirmation about what may have caused the sound, which both media and Porepunkah residents claimed to have heard.

Helicopters were hovering over the property where the officers were killed about 4.30pm Wednesday.

Five dog squad 4WDs were seen leaving the property, with two ambulances seen driving to the Rayner track address about an hour later.

Camera IconThe bear cat was seen racing down Mount buffalo road moments before the operation. Jason Edwards /NewsWire Credit: News Corp Australia

Slain officers identified

Victoria Police have identified the two slain officers as Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson, 59, and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, 35.

The officers were gunned down at a property outside Porepunkah, about 300km northeast of Melbourne, while executing a search warrant on Tuesday morning.

Camera IconDezi Freeman has been named as the alleged shooter. Credit: Supplied

What is known about the alleged shooter

On Wednesday, police revealed further details about the alleged shooter and self-proclaimed sovereign citizen, whose real name is Desmond Filby.

They said the 56-year-old was last seen wearing dark green/khaki tracksuit pants, a dark green rain jacket, brown Blundstone boots and reading glasses.

He is believed to be heavily armed with knowledge of the bushland, with Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush telling reporters on Wednesday it was possible he was hiding in a bunker or had set up traps in the area.

“Anything is possible,” he said.

“He knows that area, even though we have experts in the area, he will know that area better than us.

“So, that’s why we’re putting in every expert and supported by local knowledge as well. We must find him.”

Camera IconHelicopters search for the alleged shooter. Jason Edwards /NewsWire Credit: News Corp Australia

Heavily armed officers in camouflage set up a meeting point at Feathertop Winery just outside the town, with at least 30 vehicles, including a fortified Bearcat military-style police vehicle.

Camera IconHeavily armed police at a hub of emergency services to the northeast of Porepunkah. NewsWire / Jason Edwards Credit: NewsWire

The temporary restricted airspace includes all aircraft, including drones, and will be in place until at least 11.30pm on Friday.

“Given the suspect in this matter is heavily armed, this condition has been granted due to the risk to aircraft and drones, as well as potential implications associated with the suspect tracking police movements based off media coverage,” police said.

More to come


Source

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Recommended For You

Avatar photo

About the Author: News Hound